Alexa, WTF is Mauve?
The new color that’s popping up all over our Instagram feeds, pinned to every Pinterest board, and mentioned in every “hot bridesmaid dress colors for the year” blog– mauve! We keep talking about this trend, but are any of us really talking about the same color? From dusty and rosy hues to pale grey-lavenders, mauve is quite the subjective color. If you’re choosing mauve for your bridesmaid dresses, there are two things to remember:
- this color is amazing and will look great on your bridesmaids
- don’t focus too much on the name of the color, just find the mauve shade you’re looking for!
Mauve is Made to Mix and Match
You’ve got your shade of mauve. Now, don’t be afraid to mix in another color or two. Since mauve is all over the pink/purple spectrum, it’s easy to mix and match other hues into the bridesmaid dress color palette. If you choose a mauve hue that’s closer to the middle, just add in some shades that are a little lighter and some that are a little darker. If you main color leans a little more purple, add in a plum and a light lavender. If your hue leans pink, think a dusty rose and blush. Looking for an added layer of fun? Mix textures within the mauve color palette. Think bridesmaid dresses in chiffon, tulle, lace, print and even beads.
Your Go-To Checklist for Bridesmaid Dress Shopping (Mauve and Otherwise!)
We know, we know. This part isn’t as fun as playing with color swatches and watching your BFFs play dress up while sipping champagne. If you take care of the logistics first, you will make your shopping experience for mauve bridesmaid dresses much smoother for both you and your bridesmaids.
- List the names of your bridesmaids and number them. Also note, does the order of your girls matter to you? (Besides MOH, obviously)
- Get their sizes and even measurements (bust, waist, and hip). Keep in mind that it’s easier to order the dress a size up and then alter it to fit. (or sign up to work with a stylist, she’ll work 1-1 with your bridesmaids for sizing and ordering!)
- Talk $$$. It’s not the most comfortable, but we promise it’s significantly more uncomfortable to fall in love with a style and then have to start over again because it’s not in budget for your girls. Covering the full cost? Set a grand total budget for bridesmaids dresses. Covering just a portion? That’s totally cool with us.
- Are we mixing and matching? Decide whether you want all the bridesmaid dresses to be the same style, or if you want to vary them according to each girl’s style and body type. We offer a variety of mauve gowns to suit any style. Your mauve bridesmaid dresses could be strapless, halter top, open back, scoop necked, off the shoulder – the list goes on!
Choosing a Bridesmaid Dress Shopping BFF
It’s a fine line between sticking to your wedding vision are considering all feedback from your bridesmaids on styles and colors. While it’s essential to get feedback from your girls, sometimes having too many differing opinions can be overwhelming. Consider going shopping with just 1 or 2 other people whose opinions you trust. This is the time to browse designers and set the color options and styles for your bridesmaids to choose from. Once you narrow in on your mauve color palette, open it up to your bridesmaids to visit a showroom for a fit party or let them shop for their style online!
Let’s talk final touches for your mauve bridesmaid dresses. Generally, it’s a good idea to let your bridesmaids add their own accessories, especially if you opted to let your bridesmaids choose their own style. Your bridesmaid in a high halter and your bridesmaid in a v neck aren’t going to both want a necklace. You could always recommend a color to stick to, like gold jewelry if your mauve falls into the “warmer” hue category. Consider giving each of them a matching bracelet or pair of earrings, and let their happy smiles do the rest of the work on your big day!